Part-Time Weekend Relief Houseparent Position
Please note that if you are interested in applying for the part-time relief houseparent position, you and your spouse will need to complete separate applications.
Role of a Relief Houseparent
The part-time weekend relief houseparent (RHP) enables the full-time houseparents (who work 12 days then have two days off) to have time away from work. RHPs work every other weekend from 6:00 PM Friday to 9:30 PM Sunday. This position requires the RHP couple to reside in the student home for the entire weekend and care for nine to 12 children of the same gender and similar ages (elementary, middle, or high school).
RHPs are responsible for ensuring the student home is running smoothly and the students are engaged in healthy behaviors. This position is highly involved in the weekend activities of the students. Activities include, but are not limited to; preparing meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), assisting with household chores, and transporting students to and from various activities. RHPs also plan and participate in healthy, student-focused activities, such as off-campus trips to cultural, entertainment, and sporting events; campus activities; and fun activities in the home. Attending the on-campus Sunday morning chapel service with students is required.
The relief houseparent position requires the RHP couples to be highly engaged with students and to effectively collaborate with the full-time houseparents. RHPs must have excellent interpersonal skills, a high degree of organization, and a great deal of flexibility. Balancing the needs of their own personal lives and families into the student homes is essential.
Compensation & Benefits
Relief houseparents receive:
- Compensation of $728 per weekend per couple.
- Private apartment and meals for the weekends on duty.
- Eligibility to participate in retirement plan (TIAA-CREF).
- Use of athletic facilities (gym, tennis courts, ice skating rink).
The following criteria must be met for eligibility:
- Couple must be legally married at least three years at the time of application.
- Must be at least 27 years of age.
- Must be available to work initially two consecutive weekends for training and then work every other weekend subsequently.
- Couple cannot have more than two dependent children in residence.
- Driving records in good standing.
- Must be able to successfully complete extensive clearance process.
- Must be able to meet health and physical requirements of the position.
- Prior experience working or volunteering with children and youth preferred.